Saturday, June 18, 2011

A CFL mea pulpa

Glenn Reynolds aka Instapundit was one of the first vocal supporters of replacing incandescent light bulbs with CFL's. It didn't turn out quite as well as he had hoped:

I have to say I’m deeply, deeply disappointed with CFL bulbs. I replaced pretty much every regular bulb in the house with CFLs, but they’ve been failing at about the same rate as ordinary long-life bulbs, despite the promises of multi-year service. And I can’t tell any difference in my electric bill. Plus, the Insta-Wife hates the light. I’ve had somewhat better luck with LED bulbs, of which I have a couple, but though the longevity is better, the light is still inferior.

So, to review...inferior light, higher up-front cost, no savings during usage, no savings from lasting longer.

Oh, and he forgot to mention the hazardous waste methods of disposing of broken bulbs, hope you don't have kids or pets!

How is it that this gratuitous transfer of wealth from consumers to major light bulb manufacturers has been allowed to stay on the books?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6/29/2011 9:42 PM, Anonymous SonicsR1/WAB said...

And let's not overlook the environmental hazard in the landfills from the CFL lights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home