Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The world's laziest beggar

I was at a fast food joint the other day grabbing some breakfast, and a beggar approached the car as I was getting ready to leave. This is not completely out of the ordinary, but they usually start talking you up with some sob story, and if it's creative enough I will give in and help them on their way to that next 40 ouncer. But this (probably Mexican) woman got to my rolled down window and...held up a note, which a quick scan suggested was some sob story about her brother and sister. I'm tempted to say that shows some serious cajones, but in any case she had less chance of getting money from me than would the Boston Celtics Recovery Fund. Even though I'm not a morning person, I had a ready answer: "Je ne parle pas anglais." I hope the irony translated, and who says you'll never use those required foreign language hours?

If you're going to panhandle, at least learn the freaking language!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home